Working adults are some of the highest who consume fast food, are overweight, and are less active. All these things can lead to obesity, cardiovascular disease, and more. As a corporate fitness instructor I have seen first hand how bringing health and wellness to the job brings increased productivity and happier days at work. These are my five major tips to keep you fit while at work:
- Pack your lunch-When you pack your lunch you know exactly what you’re eating. There are endless healthy options when packing your lunch. Packing your lunch is cheaper and you are less likely to be tempted by unhealthy food options when you are prepared. My favorite lunches to pack are:
- Salads- always healthy with endless options
- Pita Sandwich- you can pack wheat pita bread with lots of yummy ingredients
- Leftovers- always a favorite and your co-workers will be jealous
- Don’t eat at your desk– Eating meals at your desk causes you to eat faster, consume more, and make poor food choices. Take your lunch to the cafeteria or even outside. Studies suggest that eating meals away from your desk leads to healthier food choices and increases productivity.
- Keep Healthy Snacks close-
There is always a lot of snacking at work. To avoid all the chips, cookies, and candy keep healthy snacks close by. Make sure your healthy snacks are visible and closer to you than the candy jar. My favorite healthy snacks are:
- Fresh fruit
- Greek yogurt
- Vegetables and hummus
- String cheese
- Bring the workout to you- There is no more using work as an excuse to not workout. Go for a walk or run during your lunch break, even better start a walking/running club with your co-workers to encourage each other. Another way to bring the workout to you is bringing fitness classes right to your job. As a fitness instructor corporations bring me in to teach classes during lunch or directly after work. I have seen great success with healthier employees with fitness classes at work. Exercising at work is convenient, easy, and brings a healthy competition among employees. What a great feeling to eat a healthy lunch and have a great workout completed all before you go home!
- Always drink plenty and only water- There are so many benefits from drinking water some include reducing bloating, cleansing your body, and helping with weight loss. Keep a water bottle at your desk and bring it everywhere you go! If you don’t like water try adding some fresh fruit for flavor! Lemons, limes, oranges, and berries are my favorite to add to my water. Warning the more water you drink the more bathroom breaks you will have to take :)!
-Nijya Saffo, MS, RDN, LD